The UK's First Modern Trolleybuses
What are trolleybuses?
- Modern trolleybuses run on rubber tyres like a regular bus but they are powered by electricity from overhead wires.
- They have fast, smooth acceleration and are clean, quiet and don’t pollute the local environment.
- They provide quicker, more reliable journeys, using dedicated lanes wherever possible to help avoid congestion.
- The vehicles will be modern, easily accessible for wheelchairs and buggies and will be fully compliant with the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA).
- Exclusive lanes and roads and special equipment will give NGT vehicles priority at traffic lights and junctions.
- New, comfortable fully accessible vehicles that will also better for the environment.
- High quality stops and shelters with real-time information showing passengers when NGT services are due to arrive.
- Large Park & Ride sites for people wanting to avoid the jams by swapping from the car to NGT.
When will it all happen?
We are now in the process of developing a Transport and Works Act Order application for Summer/Autumn 2013, which is likely to result in a Public Inquiry. If granted this would provide the necessary powers to construct and operate the NGT system.
Construction could start as early 2017/18 with the first modern trolleybuses in the UK then running by 2020.